Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A Silent Thread

Today, I was sitting at the front office at work as I saw the Fed-EX man walking in. I thought nothing of it and prepared myself to sign the monitor for the packages that were being delivered. As I was signing, I heard the man exclaim excitedly, "What is that?". At first, I had no idea what he was talking about, but then I looked down and saw Dexter, my Dexcom CGM laying on the desk in front of me.
Dexter, sitting pretty

When he asked, I have to admit I was a bit frazzled because I am never sure what a person's perception will be. So, I began rambling off my rehearsed spiel, "I have Type 1 Diabetes and this device measures my blood sugar every 5 minutes to help me stay in range...". The kind Fed-EX man sweetly interrupted, stating "Oh, that's a CGM!". Then time stood still, he was someone who gets it and lives in my world. He must have noticed the "myabetic" logo on my case. He began explaining that his son has Type 1 and wears a Medtronic pump and CGM. We had an excellent discussion about the latest technology and what we have to look forward to in the future. In the background, I could see the other Fed-EX man rolling his eyes, and laughing a bit about how we both knew so much. But in that moment I did not care, I was just blessed to be among people who just "get it".
-Morgan 

No comments:

Post a Comment