Saturday, March 22, 2014

A kick in the butt

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" -Phillippians 4:13
                       Sometimes I feel like I cannot do all the things everyone else can. I know I can do it, but many times I do not feel up to putting in the extra effort so I avoid certain foods and situations in attempt to not rock the "blood sugar boat". Lately, I have been challenging myself to overcome these fears. So one day my friend and I went out for Chinese food. This is a big deal because my body is very sensitive to white rice and many of the sauces used to make Chinese food. But I challenged myself to look past the numbers and enjoy the food, experience, and fellowship. The meal went well and my numbers were stable. 
This is what high BG and ketones 

look like
                     That night I began feeling yucky with stomach pain and "brain fog", very similar to how I feel when I have a failed pump site, so I woke up in the middle of the night to check my BG but it was still stable, so I drifted off to sleep but the bad feelings remained. Next thing I knew I was vomiting. This was my first time doing this with diabetes, so I sprang into action by drinking lots of fluids. I had work early that morning, which I decided to attend since it was a short shift and I was feeling OK. But during the shift things got worse. I was dying inside, and could not think of eating or even looking at food. When I got home from work, I check for ketones and they were large, BG was in the high 400s, I had unbearable nausea, and I was unable to keep any food down. So off to the hospital I went. 
Icky
               After arriving in the hospital, I received the miracle nausea drug, ZOFRAN, and IV fluids to rehydrate my now weakened body. I was admitted over night due to the fact I was in slight DKA. This was my first hospitalization since my diagnosis, and it truly did freak me out. It brought back to light the severeness of diabetes and the how quickly complications can arise. I am lucky that I bounced so quickly and it was not a severe case of DKA. I thought this experience would make me more scared to try new things that may affect my T1D, but I have found it has added extra motivation to not let the disease stop me from living the life I want to live. 
"Every human being is the author of his own health or disease" -Buddha

No comments:

Post a Comment