Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Changing Things Up

                I have been using the Medtronic MiniMed Paradigm Pump for almost 4 years now. And from day one, I loved it. I enjoy the freedom it has given me to graze and not take multiple shots to cover this habit. It has made everything so much easier, allowing me to breath and celebrate the little things in life a bit more freely. Of course, there are a few downfalls to pumping including taking it off when exposed to water and having the entire contraption on your body 24/7. But overtime, I became so used to these minor inconveniences that I never thought about the other possible options.
The main influence behind my change to
Omnipod <3 
              Then I went to the CWD FFL conference. My roommate had the Omnipod tubeless pump. I had seen it online before and while I thought it was interesting, I didn't really think it had added benefits that my pump did not have. As the week went on my thoughts began to change as I got to see how the pods worked first hand. I was amazed by how small it really was and how well it could be hidden under clothes if wanted. I never thought bolusing and site changes with my current pump were difficult, but with the pod it is so much more discrete and simple. By the end of the conference, I was pro- Omnipod!
             After returning home from the conference, I intensely research the Omnipod and ways that I may be able to make the switch without upsetting insurance too much ;) I discovered the 'cut the cord' program which allows people already using a pump to switch to the Omnipod with a reasonable out-of-pocket fee. After much consideration, I have decided to go for it. I have nothing to loose, if I dislike the pods I can easily switch back to my current pump.
Pod  & PDM 
            I am ready to try something new. I am optimistic that the Omnipod will relieve some of the stress and amprehension I feel in regards to Diabetes management, which is always a good thing. My Omnipod shipment is  on its way and I couldn't be happier. Hurry up UPS!

No comments:

Post a Comment