Wednesday, May 13, 2015

D- blog week 2015- Clean it Out

          

         This week I am participating in the 6th annual Diabetes Blog Week. Each day there is a designated prompt that is meant to advocate about the different issues surrounding diabetes. Today’s topic is Clean it Out.  Yesterday we kept stuff in, so today let's clear stuff out.  What is in your diabetic closet that needs to be cleaned out?  This can be an actual physical belonging, or it can be something you're mentally or emotionally hanging on to.  Why are you keeping it and why do you need to get rid of it?  (Thank you Rick of RA Diabetes for this topic suggestion.) Here are more Clean it Out - Wednesday 5/13 posts.
All clean and organized, until the next emergency site change 
      When I first left the hospital with my T1D diagnosis, my mom was focused on keeping all my stuff organized. So immediately after I was released from the hospital and still in my pajamas, we stopped at our local office supply store to pick up a wheeled 4-drawer storage organizer. All of the drawers were color-coded to house all of my supplies from low treatments (glucose tabs, juice, peanut butter crackers, etc.) to syringes and everything in between. But this system of organization did not last long. Once I moved on from injections to an insulin pump and CGM, all my neatness and organization went out the window. I now own what feels like a lifetime supply of reservoirs and everything is a bit scattered. In the last year, I have committed myself to cleaning it out every 2 months so it has been staying quite organized as of late. My purse is still a disaster zone with about 100 loose used test strips floating around and a couple empty glucose tab containers. Since my purse is my private property and no one has to see it, I don't bother to keep it looking acceptable. At times it just feels like too much to deal with. 

Diabetes is not easy to tame and that is true when it comes to both physical belongings and emotional baggage. After every site change and sensor replacement, I often simply do not feel like properly taking care of all the supplies and they can be left out for several days. This is not because I am a messy person or do not care about my belongings, it's just that sometimes I do not have the energy or will power that day. That leads me to an emotional issue that I struggle with, comparing myself to others that do not have T1D. I find myself jealous of others who must not take all these extra step to complete a simple task such as preparing and eating breakfast. But then I remember that doing these extra things is what keeps me alive and well. I have come to understand that in some instances I must focus on myself and what needs to be done. This does not make me selfish, I am just doing what is necessary to continue to thrive in life. And that involves cleaning out my Diabetic closet every now and then.                                                                                                 
                                                                                                                                             

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Morgan! And so colorful! I need to let myself be insured by you and go BUY an organizer. I have d-supplies scattered all about the house. Thank you for the inspiration. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I have been trained from a young age to do this so it is almost second nature. But believe me it does not stay like this for long, haha!!!!

      Delete