Thursday, May 15, 2014

My Mantra- Suck It Up #DBlogWeek


Diabetes Blog Week day 4 prompt: Yesterday we opened up about how diabetes can bring us down. Today let’s share what gets us through a hard day.  Or more specifically, a hard diabetes day.  Is there something positive you tell yourself?  Are there mantras that you fall back on to get you through?  Is there something specific you do when your mood needs a boost?  Maybe we've done that and we can help others do it too? (Thanks to Meri of Our Diabetic Life for suggesting this topic.)
            The number one mantra I have followed all my life is suck it up. This may not seem like a particularly uplifting saying but it has always worked for me. My mom first introduced the phrase to me at the age of 8 as a competitive figure skater. When I would complain about practice or one of my competitors, she would ask me why I am doing it. I would always say I skated because I loved it with every bone in my body. She then explained that there are always going to be tough parts in life but we have to deal with them in order to get to the enjoyable experiences.I also think it could be so much worse and there are millions of people out there dealing with issues much worse than mine. So now when I am complaining to myself about having to do a site change I remind myself to suck it up and get it over with. Diabetes sucks, but my life does not have to. Get through the sucky parts to make the happy parts even happier. The longer I take to complete these D-tasks and the more I worry about them, the less time I will have to continue living the life I want to live. So I will continue to suck it up and enjoy life. 

Mantras and sayings I live by:
Keep calm and treat the number
My worth will not be dictated by a number
Live the moment
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" -Philippians 4:13
"Every human being is the author of his own health or disease" -Buddha




3 comments:

  1. I love your mantras and I love that you were once a competitive figure skater!!! I used to be completely obsessed with watching figure skating (although I have absolutely no skating talent myself.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! yes, figure skating is an awesome sport! I still skate which makes the D-life even more interesting ;)

      Delete
    2. Ah yes, exercise can be tough to figure out, but is so worth it!! At least that is what I keep trying to tell myself when I'm working up exercise motivation.

      Delete