Monday, May 12, 2014

D Blog Week- Changing the World

     
           This week I will be participating on the 5th annual Diabetes blog week. Each day there is a designated prompt that is meant to advocate about the different issues surrounding diabetes. Here is today's prompt:
Let’s kick off Diabetes Blog Week by talking about the diabetes causes and issues that really get us fired up. Are you passionate about 504 plans and school safety? Do diabetes misconceptions irk you? Do you fight for CGM coverage for Medicare patients, SDP funding, or test strip accuracy? Do you work hard at creating diabetes connections and bringing support? Whether or not you “formally” advocate for any cause, share the issues that are important to you. 
           After reading over the responses from my fellow diabuddies about the worst part of D, I found that the misconceptions bug them the most. I have to whole heartedly agree with them. I get very tired of trying to explain to people that yes indeed I can consume candy, and that there are no limits to what I am capable of. 
         The one thing that irks me the most is when people say "Oh, I could never give myself shots or poke my finger all the time". I know that if your life depended on it, you would do it. Facing needles  everyday is a lot better than the alternative. At least we have a successful, semi-painless form of treatment at our finger tips. I do not like the pity, and I always want to be strong and show people that they could do it if they ever have to. But, in actuality I still struggle with my own reality sometimes. 
        In order to attempt to change these preconceptions, I began advocating. This blog has provided me with a platform to show my family and friends what the D life is like. Honestly it is quite boring, mainly math and blood. But many people see it as scary and the end of the world. But, Diabetes has opened a new world to me and has allowed me to develop a voice to educate those around me on a disease that often gets a bad wrap. Keep calm and change the perception of Diabetes.

2 comments:

  1. "Honestly it is quite boring, mainly math and blood."<---brilliant.

    And how cool that your family reads your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agree about the not giving yourself needles comment. Great Post.

    ReplyDelete