Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Yes, T1D's Can Have Sweets Too

          In just 4 months, my favorite event of the year will be upon us: the JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes (now known as the JDRF One Walk). I attended my first walk just 8 months after my diagnosis, and it was a major eye opener. For the first time I was able to meet many people with T1D and share experiences with them. The event was a happy occasion, but also a solemn reminder of how many people suffer from this disease and how desperately in need of a cure. I am preparing for my 4th walk coming up in september, with the goal of raising $1,000. I truly believe a cure is in the not so distant future and if we work together we will be one step closer to finding it.
       For the second year in a row, I held a bake sale during my city's garage sale weekend to raise funds for JDRF and my walk team, "Morgan's Miracle Makers". This year I was blessed to have my skating family donate homemade baked goods for me to sell. Just that little gesture brings tears to my eyes, I am incredibly blessed to have people in my life that care so deeply about me and are willing to join in my journey of finding a cure.
The Goodies 
      Sitting outside with a poster with the words Type 1 Diabetes on it beside a table full of sweets is bound to get people's attention. Many come up and ask if the treats are all sugar free. This gives me an excellent platform to explain that as a T1D I can eat as much sugar as any other person should. Sweets should come in moderation for everyone. I like to think that along with purchasing a treat, my costumers walk away with a better understanding of T1D. This year, I had one customer that really impacted me. She was a young mother who came up with her infant son. At first she just observed and then quietly stated, "I have type 1 too". Before I knew it, she whipped out her medtronic pumps and we were talking about CGM's. I complimented her on how cute and well mannered her son was. She told me that she had him after having the disease for 16 years and that their were no major complications during the pregnancy besides an increased occurrence of low BGs and her son is healthy. This is something I needed to hear. I try not to think too far into the future but I am happy to know that all things are possible. The bake sale not only helped raise funds for JDRF, but it also allowed me to meet new diabuddies that each have important lessons to share.

If you would like to support my walk team, Morgan's Miracle Makers, please visit my JDRF page by clicking here. Thank You! Together we can find a cure...

No comments:

Post a Comment