Wednesday, April 9, 2014

A different path...

      College is a time of major transformation in all aspects of life for teenagers. The beginning of my college career was made more difficult with my T1D diagnosis just months before starting my freshman  year. Everything in my life was up in the air and I just rushed through all the senior year activities. My surprising diagnosis kind of scared me away from going away for school, so I choose a highly rated University in my area. I love the school, but sometimes I wish I would have made different decisions. At the time, I was dead set and confident in my choice in major for my undergraduate degree . I thought everything would work out.
      Fast forward two years, and I became a completely different person. I am comfortable in my own skin and feel "almost all grown up". As I have matured, my passion has also transformed. As a way of coping with my T1D, I have turned to advocating for myself and all others living with the disease. I can spend up to 2 hours a day researching possible treatments and love educating others about the disease. I feel as if I was diagnosed with T1D for a reason, and I need to use my voice to do everything I can to help others living the D-life. I have now committed myself to becoming a registered dietician and Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE). I hope to work in pediatrics because I just feel newly diagnosed children will react well to working with someone who knows how it feels. I want to do everything I can to help them live their life to the fullest and enjoy every moment.
      Three years ago I never would have imagined my life going in this direction, but everything happens for a reason and I know this is what I am supposed to be doing with my life. I am so excited to see what the future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment