Thursday, April 17, 2014

Life Support

3 months of life support 
    Today I received my 3 month supply of pump and CGM supplies. I remember the first time I got one of these shipments. It was a very large box containing my original pump, numerous reading materials, 3 boxes of infusion sets, and 3 boxes of reservoirs. My mom was surprised by all of the "stuff" I needed and couldn't believe that it would only last 3 months. It is sometimes hard to realize that without this technology I would not be where I am today. These supplies are not optional, they are a requirement and something I must have to live. At times, I wish I did not need all this paraphernalia.
New PINK infusion sets 

     But, whether I like it or not, I need these things. I am blessed with how advanced the technology has become and how these supplies allow me to live an independent life where D takes the backseat. I am thankful for my insurance plan allowing me to use these advanced technologies, because many around the world struggle to obtain even the simplest supplies of sterile needles and adequate insulin. So I get excited for my new supplies to arrive, instead of being upset that I need them. I look forward to trying out new infusion sets and figuring out what works best for me. I am a diabetes geek. But, being involved in my care helps make me feel in control of a disease that often controls me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment